Friday, April 30, 2010

How can I transfer parental rights from my ex to my husband without lawyers?

I'm trying to find the easiest way to do this (and least exspensive). Short version: my ex took off when he found out I was pregnant and said he wanted nothing to do with the baby. My husband and I then started dating and he has been ';the dad'; for the entire pregnancy and first year and half of her life. We want to have all legal rights signed over form the ';biological'; father (who is very willing to do it) to my husband, so when we have the money he can officially adopt her.How can I transfer parental rights from my ex to my husband without lawyers?
You cannot transfer parental rights from one person to another without an adoption. And, if your ex will consent to it, it doesn't cost a lot of money. Just talk to a lawyer to see what needs to be done and get an estimate of what it will cost.





Also, think of it this way: What is best for the child? If having your husband adopt her is the best, then find the money to do it. You may have to sacrifice a few things, but if it is the best thing for your child, it is worth the sacrifice.





.How can I transfer parental rights from my ex to my husband without lawyers?
I believe your current husband would have to adopt the child before any rights are transferred. The bio-father can give up his rights simply by not having anything to do with the child.





I would strongly recommend that you have an attorney do this for you. I would not want to have to explain to the child that the adoption got messed up and this other guy is your real father because of a paperwork error.





I know lawyers are expensive, but worth every penny to make these important events happen the way they are supposed to happen.
This is a tough question to deal with... in the state I live in (Virginia) a parent cannot sign his rights away unless there is another party willing to step in i.e. adopt the child. What you're saying is doing something prior to the adoption which at least where I live, doesn't exist.


You need to contact an attorney. Many attorney's offer a free consultation. If it's free, you're spending no money and just a little of your time instead. It is worth it for your child.
The relinquishment of rights and adoption can take place at the same time. Both require you to file legal documents with the court. If your ex is willing to cooperate with the adoption the process should not be too expensive. Most lawyers will give you an initial consultation free of charge. AT that time (or shortly after) they can tell you how much the whole process will cost.
As long as the biological father is willing to sign away his parental rights, there should be no issue. However, you do need to file papers with the courts. Go to the courthouse and see if these are forms you can file without representation by an attorney.
You can't you need a lawyer at all cost its safer everything needs to be made legal!
Transfer parental rights? Why not just take the kid down to the auction house and sell him off?





It doesn't work that way, sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment